A City On A Hill

Light of The World
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden … In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
(Matthew 5:14,16 ESV)

A few weeks ago, I had an ‘ah-ha’ moment during a normal, everyday conversation - one of those ‘nice to meet you’ chats. I want to share it with you.

First though, a confession! When living in remote parts of Ethiopia these ‘same-same but different’ chats happened all the time. God encounters were just part of everyday life but, without internet coverage, I couldn’t tell you about them. The phone coverage was only just beginning to work when we left the area. Even then, using my phone meant I had to walk over two hills to someone’s field to get reception…emails and internet were impossible! To add to that, I was often in ‘survival mode’, going from one area of action to another - medical or spiritual…usually a combination of the two. However, I have come to realize that you may have been interested to hear about some of my ‘everyday life experiences’. Apologies for not sharing more of my life with you!

I am finding that the same thing holds for sharing my life back in Australia. It often feels like simply going through the motions of ‘everyday life’. I think you would be bored with all the details, but I trust this little story will encourage you.

Recently I met Amy for the first time and was enjoying a friendly but unremarkable conversation. She was new to Australia and had been here less than two weeks. She was still finding her way. Amy comes from the country where my grandparents went to work in the 1930’s – and where my mother was born. I mentioned this to Amy. We really did have something in common!

At one point, Amy’s eyes began to well up. I thought, ‘Oh no! I must have said something to make her homesick! Perhaps I’ve offended her?’ I asked, ‘Are you OK?’ Amy said, ‘I’ve just realised that my great grandparents became believers in the 1930’s through missionaries who came to my country back then. That was when your grandparents were in my land. Your grandparents could have known my relatives.’ She was beaming through her tears. It was if she had found family in this foreign land. We had something very special in common.

Despite Amy’s Christian heritage, she only became a believer about six years ago. While studying abroad, she was ill for quite some time. In desperation, Amy asked a local church leader to pray for her. Within a week, she was healed. Amy knew it was the work of God and she put her faith in Him. 

Amy and I have caught up again and I had the privilege of hearing more of her amazing story. We both agree that we have no idea what fruit will be born from the seeds we sow. Although it has been a dream of mine to visit the area where my grandparents so faithfully served and perhaps see some of the fruit of their work, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would meet someone here - in Melbourne - who was the fruit of their work over 80 years ago.

We never know what soil the seeds we plant will fall on, let alone the fruit borne from them long after we are gone. What legacy are we leaving for those who follow after us? Our kind deeds and the words we speak have power to give life to future generations. I can only pray that those I’ve ministered to over the years have been able to see my heart - despite my many failings - lack of sleep, being on call 24/7, no water or electricity, all make for a rather grotty Dorinda at times. I trust that God has been at work through all of that.

Be encouraged! Your daily interactions will have profound impacts on those around you. May you, like my grandparents, bear much fruit. They went out in simple faith to a foreign land to share the greatest faith of all, but had to leave unexpectedly and never saw the fruits of their hard labour. It’s only now, years later, that I have glimpsed that wonderful fruit. Greater still will be that day when we’re in heaven having a big party and meeting those who are there because of the part we had in building the Kingdom.

Many of you have prayed or supported me - financially, through emails, care packages and in other ways - allowing me to be the hands, feet and voice of Jesus, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. It is an honour to walk this journey with you. Thank you.

By Dorinda Edwards

Comments